City Clinical Hypnosis Blog & News
Confidence at Work ....MORE PLEASE!
The old saying, "it aint what you do, it's the way that you do it" (and a Bananarama hit for those of us old enought to remember), is never truer. Why is it you can say exactly the same thing as that new chap but the idea didn't get the airtime it deserved until he or she said it?
Confidence is a complex communication cocktail of body language, vocal delivery, timing some courage and often running slightly against the status quo. Its also very largely dependent on out formative years at home and at school.
Wikipedia says "Confidence is generally described as a state of being certain either that a hypothesis or prediction is correct or that a chosen course of action is the best or most effective. Self confidence is having confidence in one's self"
If your confidence wavers sometimes it might be that:
1. You project yourself into the future situation and see yourself faultering
2. You recall memories of past times when your confidence left you or an idea was poorly received
3. You compare yourself to anothers 'primetime-moment-of success' and derail yourself emotionally.
TRY THIS INSTEAD:
1. Use positive visualisation of an outcome that would be beneficial - the nervous system will respond positively and begins to create 'future memory'
2. Select memories of (any) time you have succeeded when your mind drifts onto negative memories, it helps to break habitual negative processing
3. Remember that when you see others successes that this probably